Thomas E. Dotter purchased the Sullivan Sentinel on January 1, 1899 from its founder, E. A. Pigg. One notable change Dotter brought to the paper was a cash in advance system for newspaper subscriptions that he started in 1908. “We find that life is too uncertain and its vicissitudes to vary to justify us in running open accounts scattered over half the states in the Union – such indeed is the circulation of the Sentinel.” Dotter remained the publisher until he sold the paper to D. C. Anderson in 1908. After a brief break from the newspaper business Dotter started the Sullivan News in 1910. In 1914 Dotter and Anderson consolidated the two papers into one, the Sullivan News that would be run by Dotter.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection