Established in 1868, the Sedalia Democrat went through several title changes, moving from the Democratic Press to the Sedalia Democrat to the Sedalia Weekly Democrat.
Despite its fluctuations in name, it had a long run, and The History of Pettis County labeled it the “leading democratic paper of Pettis county and Central Missouri.” When Major Jonathan Edwards took over editorship of the paper in 1877, the History claims that he wrote “for something. His terse, concise language always stabs to the heart of an enemy and brings relief and joy to a friend…a faithful political writer in his party.”
Although the paper always declared itself to be “devotedly Democratic in politics,” it also asserted its “advocacy of the material interests of the people among whom it is published.”
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection