The Albany Ledger, a Democratic newspaper, was started by the publishing team of J.W. Waldo and J.E. Mann in May 1868. They did not stay in the newspaper business for long as they sold the paper in July to Civil War veteran, C.H.S. Goodman. Goodman kept the paper for the next four months before selling to H.S. Kline on November 12, 1868, so that he could start practicing law with Judge George E. Lewis. Kline managed the paper for over a year, far longer than any previous owner, but ended up selling it to Joel M. Wood. Wood kept the paper for a little over a year, selling it in July 1870 to E. Cameron & Co. with C.H.S. Goodman coming back in to fill the position of editor. E. Cameron eventually gave up his portion of the paper to Goodman and J.M. Cameron by 1871. Goodman began serving as a prosecuting attorney in January 1873, so Goodman sold his share of the paper to Cameron, though he did serve as editor for an additional four months.
In keeping with its history, the Albany Ledger was bought and sold countless times throughout its publication. It ran in its independent form until 1957 when it was merged with the Albany Capital. This combined paper lasted until 1989 when it was combined with the Stanberry Headlight to make the Ledger-Headlight which is still in publication today.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection