The Macon Times was an eight page paper released on Fridays by Col. Clark H. Green. Green had originally started a paper in Fayette, Missouri (later moved to Glasgow, Missouri) during the 1840’s which ran until 1862, when it was suppressed on account of what was described as “Union proclivities.” In 1865 Col. Green moved the paper to Macon, Missouri and continued to run the paper until his death in 1871. The newspaper was purchased by J. A. Hudson in 1877. Hudson was very energetic and active in expanding the number of subscriptions, but decided to sell the paper after finding himself at odds with his Democratic readers on the controversial issue of Free Silver. In 1901, the Macon Times merged with the Macon Democrat to form the Macon Times-Democrat.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection