By 1873, the St. Louis Republican was established in its new building at Third and Chestnut, and according to John Thomas Scharf’s History of St. Louis City and County (1883), its “circulation, prosperity, and influence have increased to enormous proportions,” making it “one of the leading journals of the country.”
The lineage of the St. Louis Republican,published between 1873 and 1876, can be traced back to Missouri’s first newspaper, the Missouri Gazette, begun in St. Louis by Joseph Charless in 1808. The paper was published under various titles until eventually becoming The St. Louis Republic in 1888; it was published with this title until 1919 when it was sold to the St. Louis Globe-Democrat.
Digital images of the St. Louis Republican were created through a partnership with the Missouri History Museum, the St. Louis Mercantile Library, the St. Louis Public Library, and the State Historical Society of Missouri. This project is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Missouri State Library and supports the Society’s longstanding commitment to preserve and provide access to Missouri’s newspapers.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection