Henry C. Williams started the Pacific City Herald in 1880. The newspaper was democratic in political leanings, but did not act as a partisan organ of the party, and it was an immediate success. Williams stayed with the paper until 1890, when a business undertaking began to take most of his time. Charles Chapman Napier took the reins from Williams on January 2, 1890. By September, 1890, Napier had too much on his plate and so he hired Gideon Crews as his editor so he could focus on the daily running of the newspaper. It is guessed that the Herald ended in 1891, but the knowledge of when exactly this popular paper officially stopped its presses is still a mystery.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection