The Clarence Republican was the first Republican paper in the Clarence area and was started by O.P. Devin on October 2, 1889. The paper changed hands several times until it came under the ownership of R.N. Shanks. Shanks changed the name to Farmers Favorite in 1895. In 1896 he stopped publication of the paper and by 1897 he restarted publication under the company of Shanks and Son. They published for the next fourteen years until the paper was bought by A.B. Dunlap in 1911, former editor of the Hunnewell Graphic, who changed the name back to the Clarence Republican. It is unsure when the Republican quit publication, but it reported on the local news until at least 1913.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection